Thursday, September 17, 2015

Why Start Now?

I think it's important to start by pointing out that this blog will not tolerate or promote fat shaming, nor will we encourage the pervasive diet culture women can feel so oppressed by. Personally, this journey is about my health. I am not trying to get skinny, obtain a thigh gap, or look "perfect" to suit another person's ideal.

I sit at a desk all day, hold tension in my shoulders and back, and have noticed a distinct softening of my body since changing careers a couple years ago. I used to work on my feet doing an active job that was, in all honesty, no healthier for me than my currently sedentary position.

I have set personal goals regarding my health and well-being. I expect my goals to change and evolve over time as my habits change.
  • Reduce my sugar intake
  • Improve my cardio function
  • Strengthen my core
  • Lengthen my body through improved flexibility
And, most importantly
  • Get cut so people look at me and feel intimidated by my raw power
I am also trying to center myself mentally, though this tends to be a more difficult task for me. I am anxious by nature, and my mind almost never stops. This leads to insomnia, overthinking, and generally missing the moment. 

I have started CrossFit  and Yoga, alternating days. I have been at it for two weeks, and already I have noticed some changes in how I carry myself, my flexibility, my recovery, and my mental state. I chose group classes because it forces me to be accountable to other people, not just myself. My Coaches know my name, say good morning, welcome me back to class- I know they look for familiar faces, I know they want the best for everyone who takes time to be present. I am terrible at just going to the gym and working out- I get bored and don't feel motivated if I am just going to run on a treadmill. 

Today I went to sunrise yoga. Nope, I am not flexible. I can barely hold the poses because I don't have enough strength. 

Yesterday at CrossFit, I was the last person to finish the WOD (workout of the day), but it is such a great environment- the entire class cheered me on, helped me count, and kept me going.

Find the right fit for you. And remember, raw power.



No comments:

Post a Comment