Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Note About Routine

I try very hard to stick to habits. I typically find it hard- I hate the feeling of being in a rut, or trapped. That being said, I have had to change a lot of things in a short amount of time in order to maximize my workouts. 

Here's what a typical post-work evening looked like for me a few weeks ago:

  • Commute home on the MBTA (if you live in Boston, you know what this entails)
  • Get home feeling drained from commute, pour wine or fix cocktail
  • Consider dinner, run dogs out
  • Feed dogs
  • Shower
  • Eat... something... cereal? cheese and crackers? sandwich? ehhh, whatever
  • Get in bed and read until I fall asleep

What does an evening look like now?
  • Go to yoga at 5:30pm
  • get home around 7:15pm
  • Make some dinner, this week it's 1/4 roasted spaghetti squash with spinach and marinara
  • Walk Huxley
  • Shower and get ready for bed
  • Read and try to be asleep by 10:30pm
Sleeping is hard for me. I struggle with insomnia, and I think I have more sleepless nights than restful nights. I am able to fall asleep, but I usually wake up around 2am and will be awake until my alarm goes off at 5:30am. This is the one thing that has not improved with exercise, and I had hoped it would be one of the benefits. I am spending more time keeping clear and focused in my classes, in hopes that will carry into the nighttime hours.

I am going to try meditating next- does anyone have suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment