Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Kung Pao Spaghetti Squash and Broccoli



There are two things I've never done before: cook spaghetti squash, and write a recipe.
That's all changed.....
I know that I wrote allll about not cooking on weeknights, but on Monday and Friday nights I don't work out.  I got home last night, and it was snowy and cold, and I had a spaghetti squash and some broccoli, so cooking seemed like the cozy thing to do. 

The traditional thing to do would be some sort of Italian spaghetti squash, broccoli, and cheese thing, but I wanted to do something more interesting.  I liked my Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts so much, that I decided to Kung Pao my squash and broccoli!

Kung Pao Spaghetti Squash and Broccoli

For squash:
1 whole spaghetti squash
water
salt
pepper

For broccoli:
1 lb broccoli, chopped to bite size pieces
2 tbsp olive oil

for sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp sriracha
2 cloves black garlic, minced

garnishes:
1/3 c roasted salted peanuts
crushed red pepper
sesame seeds


Preheat oven to 400. Slice spaghetti squash in half, and discard seeds. Prepare baking dish by adding 1/2 inch water, salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste.  (I added bean paste). Place squash cut side down in pan, cover with foil and roast for approximately 45 minutes.


Toss broccoli with olive oil, arrange on baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.


To prepare sauce, combine ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, whisking to stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. 

Remove vegetables from oven.  Add broccoli to mixing bowl, sprinkle with crushed red pepper, and stir. Scrape flesh of squash into the bowl.  (this part was so fun! it was like magic to see the squash turn into "spaghetti!") Add the sauce, peanuts and sesame seeds to combine. 

Nutritional values will vary depending on the side of the squash.  I ended up with two big servings. 551 calories (higher that my usual meals, but not too shabby!), 13.3 g fiber and 19.3 g protein.

Far from a sad desk lunch!













No comments:

Post a Comment